This is the blog of Thomas Wilk, a blogging, er, Introductory Composition instructor at Hudson Valley Community College. Here I'll recording responses to my ENG 101 classes at HVCC. I'll also post relevant material to our 101 classes here.

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues


I think this week is hard because the entire process of writing a "research paper" is so huge. It takes years before you get an idea of who you "are" as a research paper writer--which is totally different than any other kind of writer.

Academic research is often not too fun until you've found your narrow niche and get off on really specific topics like Victorian dinner party favors or the Revolutionary Potential of Tofu Cheese Fries.

Anyway, the ways I go about tackling a larger paper are:

1) explaining my paper out loud to my roommate and making them write down/take notes about everything I say.
2) reading a ton of stuff on the Internet--not always the best way, and often it makes your topic seem insurmountable because you think it's already been done, but it's a necessary way to get an idea of what has already been written on your topic
3) next, I probably would try writing out what my main argument will be in, approximately, three sentences.

BLEH! It's getting dark so early and I think I'm the only one who hangs around after 5 PM on the second floor of the Marvin office area. I feel like I have computer face and fried coffee brain.

BY THE WAY.....!!! The second essays I've read so far look SOOO much better than the first essaYAYYYYYSSSS!!!! Way to goooooo!

0 People Speak: