This is the blog of Thomas Wilk, a blogging, er, Introductory Composition instructor at Hudson Valley Community College. Here I'll recording responses to my ENG 101 classes at HVCC. I'll also post relevant material to our 101 classes here.

Oh, Research Wednesday!!!

When talking about the usage of the word "BITCH", I decided to approach the topic from a Sociological perspective. I found a book on contesting stereotypes and creating identities. The first section, "How Social Categories and their Meanings Shape Educational Opportunities and Barriers" histroicizes black education--hmmm, maybe I could discuss how white girls and black girls use the word bitch differently; hmmm, after reading some of the first section of this book, maybe the American education system has something to do with the way this word is used...

"Ogbu believed that by anchoring blackness as the opposite of whiteness and by including schooling and education under the rubric of 'whiteness,' blacks initially developed a cynicism, estrangement, and resistance to achievement that stemmed from the slavery experience."

So, maybe I could locate the use of words in categories of race... More to think about!!!

1 People Speak:

ginger said...

Your point about how white girls and black girls use the word "bitch" differently is a good point. I do think that as the years go by that is starting to change. Walking around college campus I see alot of white girls talking to eachother and its not uncommon to hear some of them saying to one another "Sup Bitch" or something along those lines. As our cultures collide and people become more accepting of eachother slang and cultural terms change and migrate into other groups. It is quite interesting indeed.